WELCOME TO MY BAREFOOT WORLD

I have a difficult time sewing with shoes on. When I go to retreats, I always make sure I wear slip on shoes so it is easy to press the "peddle to medal" barefoot.
(socks sometimes)

Monday, August 27, 2012

My Son's Lap Quilt Got A Little Big

My son, Jim is 6'3" tall. On my last trip to Montana he asked if I was ever going to make him another quilt.
And if I did, COULD  I make it longer? He had me stand up and hold up the last one I made and  it was was above my head. But To be honest, I was noticing that his feet were sticking out of the quilt when he was all stretched out on his Lazy Boy.  Jim told me that he didn't care if the quilt was pink... he just wanted it long!
(background history)
Jim and his wife, Annie have given me 2 beautiful grand daughters over the last 3 1/2 years. I have made (just a couple..lol) pink quilts for grandma's little sweethearts. I many have gotten a little carried away with the pink but the girls are into princess stuff so pink is good right?

I'm so glad he didn't care about the color because I have been wanted to use up some of my scraps with a Bonnie Hunter String Quilt.
 It didn't take very long at all sewing these weird little strips onto foundation blocks. Jim's quilt was almost done.. but I thought it needed to be just a little longer. I thought a topper and footer would be fun using another new technique I saw on the net. The blue and red border was interesting and it used up more small pieces of my stash, but I just wasn't that happy when I was looking at it up on my design wall.

Each square is 7" finished. See the topper.? I made one for the bottom too.The bolt next to the quilt is the outside border. I didn't want to add the same topper style around the entire quilt. I thought it was plenty wide enough for Jim"s  Lazy Boy naps. But..... I JUST DON'T LIKE IT. It doesn't make me smile. I have sewn a lot of love into this quilt and its not making me "Warm and Fuzzy".

I detest ripping seams and I always say to my quilting sisterhood " If you cant see the mistake while you're galloping on a horse past your quilt...its good enough BUT even with my theory....I HATE IT.. so sometimes I got to bite the bullet, pick up the seam ripper and start picking. " grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

I took off the topper and footer border. I ripped out the top and part way down the sides of the blue inner border. I pieced 2 more rows (16 blocks) and added a 6" outside border. NOW THIS MOMMA IS HAPPY!
This lap quilt ended up being 107"x65". Now i just got to get it quilted by the 3rd week of September!
I first thought after I added the extra 2 rows that I was going to have to replace all the blue inner border too.  MORE RIPPING and more cussing!   I could not find any pieces of the original. I was looking everywhere. On the floor, under books, in bins when the lightbulb went off in my little head!  I put the left overs in my stash scrap bin.  There was JUST enough to extend the inside border around the extra blocks. I was doing a HaPpY DaNcE.

There is only one problem now.  The outside border did not look so orange on the bolt. It didn't look so orange until I attached it to the quilt but then I remember my motto....
"Wheres my Horse?  I need to go for a fast ride!"

if you like this quilt... go to Bonnie Hunters web site.. She is very generous and has many free patterns you may download.

No comments:

Post a Comment