WELCOME TO MY BAREFOOT WORLD

I have a difficult time sewing with shoes on. When I go to retreats, I always make sure I wear slip on shoes so it is easy to press the "peddle to medal" barefoot.
(socks sometimes)

Friday, February 4, 2011

A QUILT FOR MY MOM

In one of the letters my mom sent me, she mentioned that her 77th birthday was in May. (Like I didnt have a clue?) She continued her letter stating that she MAY not live much longer (she will outlive all her children, she is as healthy as a horse and is a stubborn Iris woman from Butte, Montana) and that she would really like one of my "blankets" before she dies.
Yes, she calls my quilts blankets.  She also stated the colors she wanted and the size...  King to the floor.
Oh yes... and she would be willing to buy the fabric but knew that I would never charge her for the labor since I was born breech and tore her from one end to the other. (I get reminded of my birth quite a lot.)
She asked if $30 was enough? 

My heart was doing flip flops as I read her letter. How was I going to tell her that I had already bought the fabric and was in the middle of making a quilt "blanket" for her and it wasn't anything like she wanted. Even though I am 56 years old, what kid wants to disappoint their mother's "last request."?

I finally called her yesterday. I told her about her "blanket." I told her how sorry I was that it was not the purple and blue she wanted and it wasnt as gigantic as she wanted. I hoped that she would love it just knowing that I put lots of love and hours into it trying to make it special for her 77th birthday.
Of course like any good mother would do and say, "Oh Debbie, I never dreamed you would make me another blanket!  And I know I will love it just like all the other ones."  I was relieved but then the thought ran through my little brain..."Where are all the quilts I have made her?"
We finished our conversation  and just before hanging up she says, " I love you honey. And by the way, How hard would it be to sew more fabric on the outside of my blanket to make it King to floor?"  I finally asked, "Mom...why do u want it that big? You would have to take it to the laundry mat to wash it. It would cost me an arm and leg to mail it to you.(didnt mention how much the fabric would cost... she did send me $30.00) I would have to quilt it in sections because my frame isnt large enough to hold that big of a quilt.  Why do you want it that large?"
I laughed out loud  and slapped my forehead when she told me the answer, "I don't want people to see all the crap I have stored under my bed!"
I'm including a pretty bed ruffle with the new queen "blanket" I made for my mom.
Happy 77th birthday!


The quilt is a design my Bonnie Hunter, Majestic Mountains. Its very fun and very easy. Go to her web page and you can get the pattern for free! Thank you Bonnie for teaching at NSQG. You are very inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. This is a priceless story, Deb and the quilt is beautiful -- Have Mom take a pic of it on the bed (with your bedskirt)

    ReplyDelete